Friday, November 11, 2011

Sweet Saturday, Cranberry Pear Compote

     This Sweet Saturday post was not the one I had in mind for today. As I was looking for the other recipe, I stumbled across this one. With Thanksgiving coming up south of the border, I thought this one more timely. I served this at my Thanksgiving extravaganza and it was a big hit, a twist on traditional cranberry sauce.



Cranberry Pear Compote
Ingredients
I pkg fresh cranberries-frozen works just as well
2 ripe pears, peeled, cored and coarsely chopped
Juice of 1 orange
1 teaspoon of orange zest-can be increased or omitted, increases the orange tang
1/2 cup red wine
1/2 - 3/4 cup sugar, brown or white, I've used both and prefer the molasses taste of the brown
1/8 teaspoon each of cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves

Directions
Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally until thickened Approx 15-20 minutes
Serve hot or cold

     That's it, quick and simple. And delicious. Sweet chunks of pear in a tangy cranberry sauce. I like mine fairly thick so I reduce it the full 20 minutes, sometimes a little more. It is completely a personal preference. Pears and cranberries pair well together, the orange, red wine and spices add depth and complexity. Not too sweet, not too tart, this works as well on muffins or toast as it does with your turkey dinner.

     Up the sugar slightly, 1/4 cup, and this would make a great filling for Thanksgiving Thimble cookies. However you serve it, I'm sure your guests will appreciate it as much as mine. Enjoy.


    


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment, I hope you enjoyed your time in the "Kitchen".